I'd like to ask you this: have you planned the detailed steps you and your team need to take to successfully deliver to deadline? And I mean, precisely. Not 'yeah, sort of' or 'same as last year'. I mean now, today, do you know exactly what needs to happen in each phase of execution and delivery? Are you confident of success?
Think about a sporting game. When you walk out on the field/pitch/court, do you know:
• what game you're playing?
• the rules of the game?
• what position you're playing?
• who your opposition is?
• what are the strengths of your opposition and how will you tackle them?
• where are the opportunities to shine (ie due to opposition weaknesses, home ground advantage, wind direction and speed)?
Of course you do. Crunch time is no different.
Most of you will have met this crunch time before or one with very similar characteristics. I encourage you to take action today. Identify the detailed steps you need to take set yourselves up for success
Crunch time keys:
• Have clarity about the 'game' you're playing, the rules and therefore the detailed steps needed to deliver to deadline.
• Build in steps to overcome your opposition/ roadblocks. (Note: You know most of them by now. If you don't, someone else on the team does. Just ask.)
• Know where opportunities for efficiency may show up where you can take a more effective approach. Agree those steps in advance.
• For areas involving judgment, confirm the parameters of the judgement involved and build in additional steps needed.
What do you need to do to win your game?
PS. Then...you are ready to bring on silly season with the confidence of knowing the steps need to take for success during crunch time!